Tuesday, April 13, 2010

CAR SEAT REMODEL

I'm so amazed at how my life has changed since September 09.

That's the month I decided to take up sewing.  Again.
I didn't do too good when I tried the first time to make something from a pattern I had bought from Simplicity back in 2002.  I guess my brain needed a few more years of babies and diapers to mature enough to be able to pull off making an actual pieced together garment.  Looking back it must have been the sleeves that stopped me, those darn infant arm sleeves are impossible!

Anyways..rambling on...

It's now 7 months later and I don't think I've looked back to much at my sewing purchases with regret. But lately I'm wondering if I'm going a little bit overboard with the projects and blog tutorials I want to do and buy fabric for.

I guess there are good and bad things about having all these sewing and craft blogs out there.  The good things are I'm able to maintain my sanity and create something new.  I love looking at other women's creativity.  I guess it's the reason I try harder to think of new ideas of my own.
The bad things are, "Okay mom when are you going to get off the sewing machine?"

Life changes once you are a sewer.  Life is a little bit more filled with "No limits" and "I could just make that myself and "Even pick my own fabric.".

But there are days when you can't stand the way your frame of mind has changed. Today is a very good example of the guilt that comes along with loving sewing.

I recently got a new-to-me Nissan Quest and I'm so excited to have a reliable car again.  My old car was a 1996 Chrysler Town and Country and it has made the trip across America 3 times.   So it was time to let old Betsy go and bring in a replacement. 

I really like my new car and so I decided to clean all the carseats out and wash the covers etc...
Then...I got the big idea..(feeling really guilty)...that I could recover them.

I have seen all those bloggers that have the covers for sell for the infant ones but my kids are older so I am beyond that phase.  I thought I would recover just the girls to begin with since the ones that are on there to begin with are both gray.  Yes I know, now they make the same company boosters pink for the same price.  But back then, they didn't that I could afford at least.

I didn't do too good on the first one and I thought it would literally tear up my sewing machine and my walking foot.  There were way to many layers and I was just trying to sew on top.  I can see why many people have indust. sewing machines now and the higher shank models.  I had to fight just to get it under my low shank one.  I won't get that bright idea again and will not tempt to do that many layers in the future.  I broke 2 needles and the cover is half sewed on but I am done for now....very done.

Maybe another day if it shows stress in the car I might take it out and hand sew it on more.  I'm not much of a hand sewer though.  That's the reason I sew on my sewing machine for sure.

So here is the after pic of the booster seats.  The girls like them and now they have an additional layer to help their tushes.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails