Monday, April 26, 2010

The results are IN

AND drum rolling in the background....


I NEED MORE PRACTICE WITH MY DEHYDRATOR, that's for sure.

I started the process 6 pm (I think).  Me and hubby checked the items at about 11:00 pm when I was going to sleep but we both felt that they needed to go longer.  At that point, everything tasted really good but we thought they needed just a tad bit longer to have the dried out effect. 

The strawberries were my favorite at that part.  They popped in my mouth.  I should have just bagged them right then and there and forgot about it. 

Hubby tried one of the serano peppers that I put in there, just cut in half and not seeded. 

Okay my man can handle hotness like no other I've ever met and when I tell him at dinner sometimes that it is too hot for the kids (since all my tastebuds are in tact) he thinks it's not hot at all, that is until me and the kids are yelling for something to drink to drown out the hotness.  Then I say see, I told you so..yadda yada

This time though I had to laugh because he immediately turned red in the face and ran for the fridge to drink something, grabbed the OJ, then yelled out in remorse.  I laughed until I cried.

Our conclusion of that is that with the dehydrator it must keep all the flavor entrapped in everything. It was amazing (and amazingly hot to him. lol)

So at that point, back on the hydrator went.

Then...I got tired and told hubby I was going to bed and also instructed him that when he decided to go to sleep to unplug it. 

Umm what I was thinking?  I know how his brain shuts off, the man can sleep sitting up and probally standing if he tried.  So he of course fell asleep (err) and didn't unplug it until 3:00 am. 

I got up this morning and most had to be thrown out besides the peppers and a few that were okay. (I'll let him eat those, lol)

The dehydrator manual said to always put them into storage as soon they come out of the machine.  I think even at 3:00 they would have been probally okay; they just sat out too long and by this morning was stale and old.

So I think next time I will start this project early in the morning or not at all.  Cutting takes time with the veggies and fruit.  Between cutting fruits, veggies, and typing, I think I've developed carpo tunnel in my wrists.  My hands where on fire last night! Yes I googled what could possibly be wrong and that was all I could come to terms with. 

So I better go so I don't have more issues today since my hands feel better.

Here are some photos from the first attempt.  I know it's a learning process with timing and seeing how I like the fruits and veggies to be as far as keeping them in to my preference.  I'm still excited to try again sometime soon.

The way to dried out strawberries
Those are mangos and some kind of white nectarine  (or used to be)


I kept the tomatoes thinking maybe I could add them to chili or something un-noticable


The peppers I didn't try
The banana's where yucky (pitched)  apples where so so..

And that's all, my adventure coming to an end for today
or until I wash everything

1 comment:

  1. wow! what a great assortment! Serrano peppers, seeds and all?? Yes he is a strong one! I think after a few times it'll be just right! Can't wait to try some..hint hint!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails